Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Wind and the Willows so far

Wind and the Willows assignment was due on Wednesday, October 24th. Here was what I had so up to that point


Getting to this point was a really fun process, as I mentioned in some earlier posts (Terryl Whitlatch, Justin Gerard) I found that by doing my own personal life studies on the creatures I would be rendering was a great way to really get a feel for how they might look in a fantasy situation.

Unfortunately this isn't at a finished state; and I have to implement a lot of fantastic critiques from Perry and the class. But here are the steps so far

 

First the thumbnails to try and come up with a neat situation to illustrate. I felt from the start that I scene with Mr. Toad's obsession with automobiles would be something I would like to create.


With that in mind, I thought this particular scene was most effective and expressing that thought

After that, I looked up all the elements I was going to have in this drawing, namely a rat, a mole and a toad. Adding to that, I did some research on some automobiles circa 1910, and some gypsy wagons. (which is not in the full illustration yet)
 Mr. Mole
 Mr. Toad

















The gypsy wagon not pictured























I also visited a pet store to see some rats and guinea pigs, and took some reference photos of some actual frogs that my friend owns. All in all, it was a very fun project. I will update with the finished as soon as I can

2 comments:

  1. Hey nice talking to you at CTN! (I met you in the line for the Disney portfolio reviews)... Awesome stuff! Your line work is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Amy, it was great meeting you. Your work is fantastic, and I love the story you told about not having a card that one year.

      Delete