Saturday, December 1, 2012

Service



Recently, I spent half of a week in California to attend the Creative Talent Network Expo for Animation. It was a great opportunity to meet a lot of the artists that I admired. I met a lot of great people who were in similar situations as my own, trying to break into the industry.

It was also a good chance to visit my home state of California, and to see my sister and her family. On the very last day, I was able to help her with a service project that she had volunteered for which was located in the downtown Los Angeles area. It was for a group called 'Helping All Transients' or H.A.T. for short. We had a number of donated supplies, sleeping bags, clothes, shoes etc.



The mission was to distribute as much as we could to all who were in need. There were many who showed up, we didn't have enough to give to everyone. It was a very sobering event, I found myself questioning the unimportant wants that I had been indulging in throughout my life; instead of finding ways to help humanity.

In a way, I was ashamed of myself for finding so many trivial things important, while there were others who suffer trying to live each day. I feel a need to reevaluate my life, trying to make the more important things a priority, instead of my own selfish wants.


I was deeply impressed with the members of the H.A.T. organisation, their acts of charity and kindness moved me. 






There were also children to lend a helping hand






I gave this little girl a jacket and some gloves. It was so heartbreaking to see her and other children in line. 





This volunteer had given the shoes off of her feet. How amazing is that?




By the end, we were all uplifted, and happy that we were able to help. My last day back in California had changed me for the better, and I hope to become more able to help others as these good people have been doing. I am forever grateful to them.

"...inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these, my bretheren, ye have done it unto me."
Matt 25:40

6 comments:

  1. That is awesome Stewart. It made me all teary. I have been trying to find small ways to be of service every day in December. It truly shows us what we have and what more we need to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have always set a great example of charity and love. Thank you for that, Alisha

      Delete
  2. What a unique and significant experience. Thanks so much for sharing the story and pictures! I'm glad you had this opportunity - gratitude is easier to find when you realize what you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too, I was very fortunate to be apart of it. Thank you for your comment, Virginia. You are a good friend

      Delete
  3. Yo Stewart! It's Josh from CTNx! Just found your blog and I love it! :D Awesome work done here. Really is heart-warming to see stuff like this going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Josh! Yeah it was an awesome experience, and like you said, so great to see people just up and doing this

      Delete